Carla Gray Memorial Scholarship for Emerging Bookseller-Activists
This scholarship and its recipients will celebrate and honor Carla’s boundless enthusiasm for the books themselves, her delight in pairing the right book with the right reader, and her unwavering faith in the bookselling community.
The scholarship includes funds to attend Winter Institute and a fall regional trade show. The bookseller will also be granted funding to support a community outreach project of their own design.
Our Current Winner
Riley Glissendorf from Stonecrest Book and Toy in Osage Beach, Missouri, is our 2023 Carla Gray recpient. “I am unbelievably honored to be the chosen recipient of the Carla Gray Memorial Scholarship for Emerging Bookseller – Activists,” said Glissendorf. “Bookselling has not only cemented my passion for the arts, literature, writing and activism, it continues to inspire me within my communities, local, state, and that of humanhood. The resources provided by Binc will allow Stonecrest Book and Toy and I to persist in the progression of our rural community by ensuring that children have access to inclusive literature with diverse characters that reflect them.”
Criteria and Eligibility
- Applicant has at least 1 year but fewer than 5 years of bookselling experience.
- Applicant is willing and able to commit one year to complete the requirements of the scholarship and intends to remain employed at the designated bookstore until the completion of the community outreach project.
- Applicant’s store meets the criteria of “bookstore” as defined by Binc policies. (Please email email@example.com if you have a question about your store.)
- Applicant’s store is a member in good standing of the ABA and their regional trade association.
- Applicant is a regular part-time or full-time employee of a bricks & mortar bookstore.
- A maximum of one scholarship will be awarded each year.
- Applicant may receive this scholarship only once in their tenure as a bookseller.
- A bookstore may receive this scholarship only once.
- Bookstore owner agrees to partner on the community outreach project.
More About this Unique Scholarship
“We are so heartened to see the continuing support for this scholarship program and are excited to help new booksellers imagine ever more ways to engage and inspire their communities.”—Jenna Johnson (Friends of Carla Gray Committee)